RSS Digest is a plugin that creates daily digests from an RSS or Atom feed that you specify.
RSS Digest fetches items from the RSS or Atom feed that you specify and posts them to your blog in a daily digest.
A common use is to create a daily digest of items you’ve posted to social networking sites such as Delicious, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
Unlike the other couple of WordPress plugins providing similar functionality, RSS Digest features a settings page for easy configuration. (No editing code… Yay!)
- Supports RSS and Atom feeds
- Easy to use configuration settings page
- Daily or weekly digest at the time of your choice
- Configurable digest title, category and author
- Publishes the description field, allowing you to annotate your imported links
- Digests may be published automatically, or posted as drafts or pending
- Based on the latest WordPress feed fetching technology for enhanced performance and scalability
Upload the RSS Digest plugin to your blog, Activate it, then Configure it (Settings > RSS Digest) to set your feed information and digest preferences. Easy peasy.
frequently asked questions
What feed types does RSS Digest support?
RSS Digest supports all major versions of RSS and Atom, namely
- RSS 0.90
- RSS 0.91 (Netscape)
- RSS 0.91 (Userland)
- RSS 0.92
- RSS 1.0
- RSS 2.0
- Atom 0.3
- Atom 1.0
Can I use RSS Digest with WordPress 2.7 or earlier?
RSS Digest uses the ‘fetch_feed’ library, which is new to WordPress 2.8. As a result, RSS Digest currently only works with WordPress 2.8 or later.
Can I remove the text “This digest powered by RSS Digest” from the bottom of each post?
Yes, but we hope you won’t
Whether the attribution text appears is controlled by the “Give credit to RSS Digest” setting on the configuration page.
Perhaps you’d consider leaving it on for a limited time before removing just to help us get the word out?
I’d like to see feature XYZ. Can that be added?
Possibly. Leave a comment on the plugin’s homepage with your feature request and we’ll see what we can do.
1. A sample digest.
- FIXED: Removed CSS clear after credit line, which broke some themes and isn’t needed in most
- FIXED: Settings page displayed incorrectly
- Fixed: Fixed error preventing inline CSS in HTML head from being recognized
- Other: Improved upgrade from 0.6x to remember items already fetched
- Fixed: Plugin now fully compatible with WordPress 2.9.2
- Fixed: Better timezone handling; display server timezone on options page
- Fixed: URL character handling bug
- Fixed: Rewrote scheduling method, replacing homemade scheduler w/ wordpress cron. Should eliminate duplicate posts seen on some sites.
- Added: Added additional debugging information for scheduling system
- Added: Greater scheduling granularity (minutes vs quarter-hours)
- Added: Display local time on settings page
- Added: Choose post status (e.g. publish, draft, pending)
- Added: Allow use of post authors without publish status. Note: WP seems to allow plugins to post as users who don’t otherwise have the ability to post.
- Added: Use timestamps to choose feed items published since last digest
- Added: Allow custom tags to be applied to each digest
- Added: Clean up options on deactivate
- Added: Allow user to specify minimum number of items per digest
- Added: Allow user to suppress item descriptions
- Added: “Preview” option
- Added: “Post Now” option
- Added: “Reset Settings” option
- Added: Ability to append date to title
- Fixed: Author setting not applied correctly
- Fixed: CSS clear after “credit” line
- Other: Added debug logger
- Initial version.